Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Philadelphia...the one in Mississippi

Somehow, it's mid-September, and I am not sure how that happened without my noticing.

Today was another day of firsts...and seconds.  Second time one should not assume that a GPS will get you where you want to go in Mississippi...or maybe this was the third time.  I think I mentioned before that the one thing I do not like about my Lexus is the GPS.  So, here I was making my first trip to Philadelphia and to Pearl River, Choctaw, and the GPS sends me waaaaaaaayyyyyy out of the way.  And if that were not bad enough, I had gotten an hour down the road before I realized I forgot something I had to have and had to backtrack to home.

Refill gas tank and start over.  I knew where Philadelphia, Mississippi was, as in what towns I should pass through.  I had scouted a few New Deal sites on the way, and was overjoyed to find how many were totally convenient to this trip.  After my delay in departure, though, I thought I would have to cut back on my once leisurely drive down and just pick up one today and save the others for the return trip home Friday.  First up, Winona, also a place I have never been.  Plug in the address on the GPS--hmm....seems like this is taking the long way around...the magic words "you have arrived at your destination"...only, I had not.  It was an interesting street, with some interesting buildings, and normally, I would have parked and just sauntered and taken some photographs.  Not today.  I was not on the street where the alleged building was located.  I put the address in again, and proceeded to follow the directions.  A few blocks and "you have arrived at your destination."  You know what's coming next, don't you?  I was not at my destination, because I had not requested the address of the local bank.

I gave it up and got back on the road toward Philadelphia.  I should have opted for the one in Pennsylvania instead.  Who would think that when your destination was an address on Hwy 16 West that the GPS would send you first to Hwy 16 East--a good 45 minutes to an hour out of the way only to turn you towards West.

...the best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley. (Robert Burns)
And on that note, tis time to rejoice in the fact that tomorrow is another day, and it always looks better after one has slept, and then awakened to see the sun shining on new possibilities for things to go in an unanticipated direction full of opportunities.

2 comments:

Lana Pugh said...

Good grief. We have a GPS, but only use it for in city driving or for long distance trips. Anything within the state I usually just sit down with an atlas and mapquest and figure everything out on paper. If you're still in Philadelphia do not miss Williams Brothers, it's one of my favorite places in the world. It has all of my favorite things: food, horse tack, and cowboy boots.

Suzassippi said...

Thanks for the tip! I am still here through tomorrow, and have a few places to check out, so I will add Williams Brothers to my list. Maybe I can find a present for Rio!