Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

If it's Wednesday, I must be in Texas

While it still makes for a long day to fly from Memphis to Wichita Falls, it is a sight better than driving 14 hours.  I left Memphis this morning at 11, right on time and whizzed into Wichita Falls and picked up my rental car.  When I said I would be in Graham visiting my parents, not staying in a local hotel, the rental clerk said, "Wow, there has been a lot of excitement in Graham this week!"  Really, why?

"You know that drive-in movie contest where someone was giving away 5 digital projectors across the US?  Graham drive-in won one of them."  Well, what a surprise--I voted for them!  Spent a lot of date nights at that drive-in growing up.

There are not that that many drive-in movie theatres still operating in the nation.  Films will no longer be available, and if the theatre does not convert to digital, which is hugely expensive, they will have to close.  Apparently, the Graham community rallied to save the drive in, and it will be able to remain open.  That's always a nice little surprise for your home town.

I made the hour drive from the airport to here in time to go out and feed Rio and Jenny.  Tinka and I have been outside about 5 times since I got here.  Dinner is over, dishes are done, and I am loving having the Internet right here on the sofa instead of having to drive to the grocery store deli!  That was my splurge for me when I have to come so often now, and for my sister since she is staying here so much.  It was really about work, and being able to be here and still manage my work responsibilities, but I confess to being very pleased all the same!

Pictures!  Research!  Blogging!  Emailing!  Oh, and Work!  All for only $65 a month for the next 2 years. The things we won't do these days, and thank goodness, I can!

3 comments:

Lana Pugh said...

I love Wichita Falls. The best college conference I went to was there at Midwestern State University. The best part was my dad got to come with me and we went by Shepard Airforce Base and got to see the house he lived in while my grandfather was stationed out there. We also got to go to Archer City and see the Last Picture show in the old theater.

Suzassippi said...

You may be the first person I ever heard say she loved Wichita Falls. LOL But that is cool about seeing your grandfather's house. There were service men on the plane, and they were talking about all the changes on the base--funny. But Archer City and the Last Picture Show, now that is something to write home about!

Suzassippi said...

You may be the first person I ever heard say she loved Wichita Falls. LOL But that is cool about seeing your grandfather's house. There were service men on the plane, and they were talking about all the changes on the base--funny. But Archer City and the Last Picture Show, now that is something to write home about!