Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Old Jean School

This six-room, six teacher school was built in 1927.  Not bad for a small Texas community about to enter the throes of the Great Depression.  The railroad was still passing through, and the agricultural and ranching business was likely still good at the time. Probably, oil had been making its way onto the scene, and in general, life was looking promising for the growing community.
Prior to erecting this brick structure, the community boasted a one-room, wooden school house with tin roof, which is also still standing.  It appears to be in use as some type of supply/welding store, based on the visibility of the contents through the front door.
I don't know how much use the community center sees on a regular basis, but once a year it is full and busy for the annual homecoming.  Maybe next year I will go and see if the guy I had such a crush on when I was a sophomore shows up.  He still lives on his family farm up the road.  When I think about the life I have enjoyed, and the one I might have had if he had returned my interest, I am grateful that there are times we don't get what we want.  What do ya'll think?

No comments: