Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pegasus over El Dorado

Downtown El Dorado, Arkansas is eye candy.  I know I dissed them a couple of years ago when the service station where I had just gassed up my car had no restroom, and the convenience store down the road where I stopped for water and snacks had no restroom.  All is forgiven because downtown makes up for those less than hospitable folks on the last trip.  In fact, I think this would make a great destination for a few days of relaxing, shopping, eating, and taking photographs.

I had plotted out New Deal Administration buildings from Texarkana to the Mississippi River as we had decided to take the Delta route home.  We left Mount Pleasant, Texas this morning with a--pardon the pun--pleasant surprise of finding out the golf course was a WPA project, designed by Perry Maxwell, who designed a number of WPA golf courses.  (I know, Rand said the same thing--the WPA built golf courses and country clubs?)  I will have to do some research on that to further comment, but the MPCC website credits Maxwell, as does http://pasturegolf.com/archive/wpa_courses.htm.
While photographing the Union County Courthouse, I noticed Pegasus flying over the building across the street.  He (or she) is a recreation by the Wolf Sign Company from Louisiana.  The story of the Pegasus sign can be read here.

We had a great week in Texas, with lots of opportunities to be with family and friends, but as always, it is good--really good--to be back in Lottabusha County.

No comments: