Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Cooking in the kitchen with mama

It is always fun to be with students in the community. I learn so much and hopefully, so do they.

Today we met with city representatives on project planning and then headed out to map the first cemetery. Let me just say once again--the Lexus GPS is a big old disappointment and we had to call on google on the iPhone to help us out. Interestingly enough, though the Lexus GPS says it cannot give us guidance or directions to the location, once we arrived, it piped up with "you have arrived at your destination."

It was a difficult task for all of us to map the cemetery--many graves will have to be reported as unknown.

As two of the students and I prepared dinner tonight, I shared my memories of learning to cook in the kitchen with my great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, aunt, sister, and my two cousins. Tonight felt a little like being back there, only I was Grandmother. I was able to pass on a few tips I learned from my chef friend though, and I'll bet Mama never heard of them.

It was much more difficult talking about the loss of identity of so many people who were buried with markers that had not survived.

No comments: