Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Ouch...the gift that keeps on giving...and giving...and giving....

Yeah, yeah, I know, I quote Tommy Lee Jones way too many times in this blog about "I'm not having any fun here; you know how I get cranky when I'm not having any fun."  But, still, I am going to do it again, and you know I am going to do it again.
There was that whole fire burning up the fence, yard, trees, half the hill-side thing last month, right?  I have been steadily, including my Thanksgiving break week and all the weekends since then, trying to clean up the mess.

The fence replacement company began this past week and most of the burned fence and posts are now gone, and new fence will go up soon.  In the interim, I have cut burned brush, burned kudzu, burned trees, cleared leaves, cut live trees, bushes, and honeysuckle vines too close to the house, and raked and hauled it out of the way of the new fence line so many times I cannot remember, although my knees and hips and back can remind me.

Today dawned bright, clear, sunny and pleasant, and while I had sooooooo many other things to do, the yard beckoned yet again.  I spent the day doing the same thing I have been doing for the past several weeks, and by 4 PM, felt like I was literally on my last leg, last hip, last knee, last foot and just had to quit even though I was not done and there is more left before Monday--when fence building will start.

As I walked up and down the hill, drove the lawn tractor around moving, hauling, mulching, raked and sawed and cut and pruned and cleaned, there was that part of me who is always thinking, planning, just enjoying the physical labor.  When I finally called it quits, poured a glass of wine, and walked the yard yet again for the umpteenth time since the night of the fire, I had that all over again feeling of how close we came and how fortunate we were.  The fence (and the never-ending kudzu) actually kept me insulated from how close I really was to others.  In spite of the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" it has enabled me to get some things done that have long needed doing, and is a reminder once again of why we need to reach out even when others do not, or do not reciprocate if we do.


4 comments:

Beth said...

When the least expected happens...it all comes into focus.

Suzassippi said...

That means I need to keep my expectations low? :)

Beth said...

I think it means to expect the unexpected. Well, maybe not. I think I need a glass of wine to think about what I said.

Suzassippi said...

Frankly, I kind of like the low expectations route these days--not near so demanding. :) I finished all the yard clean up today--well the part where the new fence will go, and it was not nearly so hard on my body as yesterday, so perhaps all this labor is doing me good. But now, it's time for the porch and a glass of shiraz, so here is a toast to you while you are thinking. (It is okay either way with me these days, I am trying to just put one foot in front of the other for the moment.)