Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Ricotta-Yogurt Naan Pizza with Balsamic

Satisfying comfort food without the (a) heartburn, (b) over-excessive calories, or (c) time consuming preparation--my kind of "cooking" these days.  This little delight took about 5 minutes of prep time, and 10 in the oven, and the taste absolutely wowed me.

Ingredients:
Flat bread--I used Naan
Olive oil: brush the bread lightly before adding ingredients
Nonfat Greek yogurt: 1/4 cup
Ricotta cheese: 1/4 cup
Salt and pepper to taste; salt the tomatoes prior to baking, and no additional salt is needed
Oregeno: about 1/2 tsp.
Tomatoes: I used 2 small "cocktail" tomatoes which are intensely flavor-rich
Power greens: I use organic baby kale, baby chard, and baby spinach
Basil:  2 leaves, snipped
Balsamic: drizzle a tsp. across the top prior to baking

Calories in one slice: about 145; the entire pizza = 580.  This contrasts with a typical slice of margherita pizza ranging from 200-700+ calories a serving, up to 1400 for the whole flatbread.

I think next time, I will reduce the amount of ricotta and yogurt by half.  While it was very creamy and cheesy-tasting, it could be reduced and not sacrifice the taste at all.  Choosing a lower calorie flatbread could also reduce the calorie count, but I prefer the taste of naan over the dryer flatbreads available here.  It is also available in a whole wheat version, which I obtain when it is in stock.  Granted, the 187 calories in the New Belgium Portage consumed with the pizza probably took the total count right on up there alongside those other mega-calorie pizzas, but it was a perfectly delightful accompaniment!
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Will have to try!

Suzassippi said...

I was wrong about reducing the amount of yogurt and ricotta, by the way. It was not as good!