Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Hall Bathroom Remodel

It's even worse than I thought.  I thought it was 2009 when we ripped out this bathroom--right before a 2 week visit from my father-in-law.  It was November 2008.  See the "before" picture below.


 Finally, 7 1/2 years later, this bathroom is finished, too.  I wrote in December 2008:
In the meantime, I need to chalk this one up for future remembering: no matter how simple the job seems, allow 4 times longer than I needed; never do it at the end of the semester; never do it thinking you will be done before company arrives.  At times like these, I just call to mind the people I know in South Africa living in a two room shanty with leaking roof, no bathroom or toilet of any kind, linoleum on top of a sand floor, no running water except for what drips through the roof when it rains, and it helps me get it all back into perspective.
 In July 2010, I wrote:
Randy took off yesterday and today, and combined with his 3-day weekend, we committed to finally finishing this bathroom.  In addition to the toilet, sink, plumbing for the whirlpool tub which has been sitting in J's floor for over a year, it was piled high with other tools, storage boxes, and things better left unnamed. Ever since I lost my favorite spot, it has sort of turned into a catchall big ole trashcan. It was a necessity to clean it up, or else we could not get to tools, have any place to cut sheetrock or tile, etc.
In August of 2010, I wrote:
Yeah, I have a tub.  I can't use it, but at least it is finally in the bathroom.  Yes, another all-day effort.
This was after, of course, the July post about "committed to finishing the bathroom.  Obviously, it took another almost 6 years to see that commitment come to fruition.  In spite of all the trials and tribulations, or perhaps because of them, I enjoy stopping in to admire the completed work every time I walk down the hall.  Seriously, though, almost 8 years to remodel a space that you can stand in and touch all walls from anywhere in the room?  What was I thinking?

3 comments:

Beth said...

Looks very nice - I would stop and admire it, too. Maybe there's hope for getting self going on my 2 '70's bathrooms that were to be remodeled when I bought the house 13 years ago, sigh.

Suzassippi said...

Thank you--it is simple, but waaaaaay better than it was when we bought the house!

Jane said...

Love it! Finally finished--hurray!