Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Porgy and Bess go to Natchez

I went to a touring production of "Porgy and Bess" last night--my first ever exposure to this show that I have heard mentioned over the years. It was quite interesting, though I had a hard time understanding much of it. I was not certain if it was the sound system, our seats in the nosebleed section, or my ears. Possibly a combination of all three. Since much of it was highly operatic and with the high notes, that may have been some of the difficulty, as I seemed to understand some songs better than others. There were many beautifully done solos and group numbers, and the choreography was quite stunning, though fairly subdued. Sadly, the set that illustrated "Catfish Row" of South Carolina in the 1930s looked very much like parts of the Delta in 2010.

This morning I await my friend and two of our students for our departure to Natchez for the NASW conference over the next 3 days. Natchez is relaxing to me, and we always enjoy a trip to Fat Mama's Tamales and grits for breakfast. One of the students is nominated for the social work student of the year, and the other is doing a poster presentation on her community organizing work in San Mateo community of San Pedro island, Belize. It is a well-done work and I will post a picture of it once we get it set up in the morning and she is in the competition.

Rain and humidity for today, but tomorrow brings sunshine...and more humidity as the temperatures climb into the mid-70s in Natchez. Summertime is on the way.

No comments: