Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Monday, July 4, 2016

Independence Day 2016


Mom and I made a little road trip last Tuesday to Wichita Falls, to pick up deck stain, have lunch, and do a little shopping.  We will repeat our trip in the morning, because we need more deck stain, and another lunch, and one can just not have too many mother daughter road trips at this point in our lives.
As usual, it has been more than I can accomplish in the last 11 days since I arrived, and more than I will be able to accomplish in the 3 remaining days.  I took time today to drive over to Elbert and put a 4th of July remembrance on my brother-in-law's grave.  Lynn served in Viet Nam, and as a result of exposure to Agent Orange, he died at the same age that I am now.  My Sis always said he loved his country, loved his family, and loved to travel, so it just felt right to take that 30 minute drive and say thank you. He always thought I was a little bit crazy, so I sang "American the Beautiful" and the "Star Spangled Banner" and I think he was probably laughing, since I cannot sing, but smiling because we might have been more alike than anyone realized.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Love the pic of you and your mom. Those mother-daughter times are sweet and I hope you'll have more fun ones ahead even though we all feel the ticking of the clock these days. Very nice to go to visit your bro in law's gravesite and to sing some songs for him. I'll bet he was smiling. xoxo

Lana Pugh said...

Love that pic of you and your Mom. Never can have too many mom daughter lunches at any age.