Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Maybe my iPad was worth what it cost: late night surfing from bed

Yesterday was perfect chimenea weather:  just cool enough for a fire, but not so cold as to be unpleasant in my super-warm KUCB Unalaska hoodie sweatshirt.  I gathered up the usual ready supply of small limbs ever-present in my yard, pulled my Adirondack chair close enough to tend the fire, and wiled away an hour or so wondering when the end of the semester emails would start to arrive.  I did not have to wait long.

I confess to a degree of annoyance lingering on about my plans having to change...I now have to do what I didn't want to do, and don't get to do what I did want to do.  I have to make two stops now that I did not intend nor want to make.  Maybe in my old age I am turning into a curmudgeon, but it just seems like one of these years, I could get to do the end of the semester obligatory trip to Texas exactly the way that I want to instead of fit my plans around everyone else's plans.  But, I digress, and enough of the whining.

I woke up shortly after 2 a.m. this morning and could not get back to sleep.  Oh, wow, surfing the Internet without even having to get out of bed, nor sit up if I did not choose to do so!  iPad: 1; desktop: 0.

I was just going to check emails, and then look at my blog list.  As usual, that starts me off on some kind of treasure hunt.  I get sidetracked with looking at a blog on someone's blogroll (what is it that a blog about pictures of your household decorations commands 451 followers?) or reading something that sends me on a search.  For example, I've been trying to find a picture of the First National Bank Building in Vicksburg ever since Malvaney posted the post card of the bank.  So far, the best I can do is one image of the columns, and a street view that includes a door, but nothing that shows the building proper.  While snug and comfy under the covers, the iPad was a breeze to handle, unlike the lap top which requires much more effort.  No wonder people like those kindle books--it was easy to hold, light weight, and required minimal effort.  Next thing I knew, it was 6:20 and the dogs wanted to be fed and I was ready to go back to sleep.

No comments: