Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

A little rural decay

Sometime in the middle of the night, Rando opted for the couch. I think he had the best idea. My in-laws had this bed when we married...30 years ago. It's not a good sleep alone, let alone with 2 adults and a lab the size of a middle-schooler. I think between the aches and pains of the trip, the attack of the Texas allergens, and Kate, I was awake more than asleep.

It's also kind of like navigating a maze around here. Nothing has been moved since Rand's mom died several years ago. When you add in our luggage in a room already with only enough space for a narrow trail down one side of the bed and enough space at the end of the bed to stand and change clothes, it's a tough space for the three of us.

I was getting my coffee this morning and looked out the window to the formerly lush garden behind the house. Whether it is the current drought, Chet's age and infirmity, or a combination of those, it was a dreary sight. The grape arbor is gone (along with my planned Suzassippi's Taylor Hill Red), and the shed has seen better days. It reminded me of Khodachrome Guy's post yesterday "fate is unknown."

No comments: