Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Elvis has not left the building

My colleague and I had to go to Tupelo yesterday for our curriculum grant.  As one of my other colleagues there put it, "You had to spend the whole day here for 15 minute clips?"  Yes.  We had to go in at the beginning of 6 classes, do our 15 minutes of explanation of the research study, give the consent forms and pre-tests--which took about 2 minutes to complete.  Then, wait an hour for the next class.  However, we had time to work on other projects in between, discuss various aspects of the program, I met with a student with whom I am doing a directed study this semester, and best of all, I got to have lunch at the cool little downtown bistro 212 with two of my colleagues.  Imagine this: smoked turkey, smoked gouda, cranberry relish, apple slices, mayo-dijon, all grilled on a croissant.  It was an incredible blend of sweet and tangy and smoky flavors all melded together.

Elvis had dropped by the campus to help some students in the Writing Center.  Now personally, I think he was a bit overdressed for college, but then, it is Elvis.  A guy who went to a gig in 1955 wearing orange pants and a lilac shirt is definitely a little over the top.  As Pete and I were leaving, he swung by Elvis' house, which is just down from the campus.  They are preparing to make some additions to the museum, but I don't know what they are at this time.  It was very quiet and deserted looking, as it typically is this time of the year, at least in mid-week.

We got back to campus--after driving through a thunderstorm--just in time for me to make my 4:30 meeting in the dean's office.  The meeting was scheduled for 4:30-5:00.  At 6:00, Randy finally gave up waiting for me to finish (we are down to one vehicle this week) and went to get gas and go to the pharmacy.  Of course, that is when I finished, and it was dark, cold, raining, and I was 2 blocks from my office.  My friend who was also at the meeting generously drove me to the pharmacy to meet Randy.  It is good to have generous people in your life, isn't it?

No comments: