Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Holmes County Jail

Mississippi architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town of Jackson designed this 1936 Art Moderne jail in Lexington.  A PWA project, it cost $24,528, and $10,000 of it was funded from the PWA.  Holmes County erected a new jail facility in 1999-2000.  What's in store for this building I wonder?  It is both historic (a designated Mississippi landmark) and stunning in the simple design.  Maybe I could just renovate it and move in, living in half, and operating my research facility in the other half.  I will have to study on that possibility.  I wonder what they would charge me for rent?

Sources: Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory; Mississippi Landmarks; "New correctional facility will replace 63-year-old county jail" (June 3, 1999). Holmes County Herald, 41(22). p. 1.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Even with the a/c units on top it is a wonderful design. Renovate it!

Suzassippi said...

Agreed--I can screen those AC units in a nano-second!

Lana Pugh said...

It just needs a rooftop container garden. Ornamental sweet potato vines make everything look better.

Suzassippi said...

I love sweet potato vines--as long as the deer cannot reach them.