New Albany New Deal Post Office and Milking Time Mural
The 1936 Colonial Revival post office in New Albany was constructed through the Treasury department, under Louis A. Simon, Supervising Architect of the Treasury (MDAH Historic Resources Inventory). The construction company was Blair, Algernon of Montgomery, Alabama, who built 9 post offices in Mississippi.
Joan Embree, (1996 National Register of Historic Places nomination form) described the "classical cupola"...
"...new entry doors, but in the original surround with fanlight transom, in-antis Doric columns supporting the hooded architrave."
The interior of the building, which is currently in use as the Welcome Center and Development Association, retained original features such as the marble wainscoting, wooden vestibule entry,
and former service window,
original postal boxes and writing counters.
Robert Cleaver Purdy's mural, "Milking Time," was completed and installed in 1939.
The local Armour Creamery was a vital part of the economic scene during that time, and the building is still extant, though not in use. The role of farming and dairying in New Albany is thought to have influenced Purdy's mural.
New Albany represents another fine example of a town preserving its historic architecture, including the buildings constructed through the New Deal administration programs.