...conceived and laid out as a railroad town with commercial buildings facing tracks. (Joan Embree, 2004, in the nomination form for the Leland Historic District, National Register of Historic Places)Additional commercial blocks were added as the town continued to grow. The Bank of Leland was organized in 1899, and a new building constructed in 1909--across the street from the location of the new bank, which currently serves as the Leland City Hall.
An even more ornate Early 20th Century commercial building that has survived remarkably intact to the present is the 1907 Bank of Leland. This combination bank (downstairs) and cotton office (upstairs) has the most ornate detailing surviving among buildings of its era in Leland. A combination of Neo-Gothic (arches), Neo-Colonial (classical detailing), and Richardsonian Romanesque (faux-stone quoins, facings), the building retains its decorative hex-tile entry floor.
The 1926 building was designated a Mississippi Landmark in 2001.
The bays are divided by pilasters with Ionic capitals...fenestration is anodized aluminum and glass. (Embree)