Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Church Grove and Back Roads

The only time of year you can see the ruins of this old building in Taylor is in winter, when the kudzu dies back enough for the outline to be visible from the road.  I have tried to find my way up there, but there seems to be no access without hiking through the woods that belong to someone else--and clearly marked No Trespassing.  I've asked around trying to find out how to access the ruins, or anyone who might provide information, but so far, to no avail.
I was on my way back home and on the spur of the moment, made a turn down a back county road that I had not traveled before.  I came upon a cemetery out in the middle of the woods.
The cemetery seems to bear only a few names, mainly Walker and Wells.  There are a large number of graves marked only by wooden crosses.  The few remaining older headstones are in poor shape, but there are a number of newer ones as well.
It's a chilly day here, though not unpleasant.  I stood at the edge of the cemetery, listening to the sound of the wind blowing through the dead leaves in the woods.  That was the only sound I could hear.
A bit further down the road and there were one or two isolated houses.  Then, I turned a corner and found myself in a community, with a number of houses, varying shapes and conditions of mobile homes, and suddenly, a division of condos in the midst of the trees.  I knew then that somehow I had meandered back toward Oxford.  I just never quite know where I am in Mississippi.

No comments: