Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Magnolia Terrace

 Magnolia Terrace Historical Bed and Breakfast sits on the corner of Railroad and Magnolia, in the town of Magnolia.  I personally would think that a place called "Historical" and in a building that appears to be somewhat old would have some history associated with it.  Seriously, even MDAH/HRI let me down here.  It is right across the street from the Historic Depot, so you know there is a story here--and if anyone out there knows what it is, let me in on it.
 I was actually doing some research, but never one to pass up an unusual building if I can help it.  The "missing wall" is what caught my attention.  Unfinished brick has a beauty all of its own, and all the more so when it looks like this.  And while it is listed in about a thousand places (apparently, everyone and his or her dog now has a website listing tourist sites, restaurants, and lodging, although they all look the same--pulled out of the yellow pages), there is nothing I could locate anywhere about the actual building.  I suppose a physical trip to the Archives would result in possible information, but the likelihood of that happening these days is pretty nonexistent unless I win a trip to Jackson for a couple of days.

 Can you imagine getting up in the middle of the night and losing your way to the front balcony?  This could be a serious error.
 Was there a trolley in the town?  The train take a little detour to turn around?  Questions like this just need an answer.

No comments: