Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Graham Municipal Auditorium

Designed by Voelcker & Dixon--the same architects who designed the Jack County courthouse--this theatre was built in 1929 through the efforts of private citizens to honor World War I veterans.   The building is currently undergoing a $2 million renovation to "reclaim the original beauty and elegance of art deco design."
I performed in 3 plays on the stage of this theatre.  In 1964, I was the Queen in "The Ugly Ducking" for the regional one-act play contest.  In 1967, I had a role in "The Egg and I" and my cherished memory was the leading role in "Our Town" in 1968.
The theatre seats 780 patrons, and was also the setting for my high school graduation.
It retains a major role in the community, hosting local events and national acts.
Perhaps on my next visit, it will be complete and I can see if that "reclaimed" interior matches my recollections as well.

No comments: