Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rain, finally


After days of humidity so high you could feel moisture dripping out of the air, the rains finally arrived last evening. It cooled things down and allowed me to sit on the porch for a while, watching the rain fall, hearing it plinking against the metal tub covering my chimenea. It's a sound that reminds me of my childhood and the "sleeping porch" with its tin top--a sound that lulls you into a peaceful bliss.

I hear it again this morning, outside my window as the rain splats against the ledge outside Libby's pet door. Coupled with the semi-darkness of the room, it makes me just want to crawl back into bed for a while, and I am tempted--right after I finish this wonderful breakfast. My friend gave me a handful of fresh tomatoes from her garden. Imagine, a tomato that smells like a tomato, and tastes like a tomato. Sliced and seasoned with freshly ground sea salt, it's the perfect accompaniment to eggs and wheat toast.

There is only one tomato left now, and I shall savor it like this day--the last day I have left before officially beginning the new semester tomorrow.

No comments: