Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Libby's Kennel

I spent part of the day working on Libby's kennel yesterday. Since this is now the view out my window, I wanted to be able to look at something a little more aesthetic than the back of a fence. One of my favorite pass times before was to watch the birds feeding outside of the window as I worked on the computer. I still have some work to do to complete the space, but for now, at least when I glance out the window, there is something to see that is a bit more compelling than an expanse of wood.

From the outside, it is a rather unattractive box as well, so I am attempting to bring a little definition to it as well. This is a start at least.

Libby is readily using the kennel finally, and this morning, enjoyed the sunshine from her little porch. While I will never be able to let her and Kate be together again, I am counter-conditioning her when she hears Kate, hopefully in order to prevent another disaster should there be another management failure somewhere down the road.

When she hears Kate come down the hall, she would start to snarl and bark and jump at the door (which is always closed, and with a protective baby-gate on the other side of it). I rub her belly, pet her profusely, and provide treats. She is learning to associate hearing Kate makes good things happen. Yesterday, when she heard Kate, Libby looked at me, jumped on the bed and rolled over as if to say, "where's my belly rub?" I was so excited--Kate made a little noise outside the door wrestling with Roadie, and Libby sat up, looked at the door, then looked back at me as if to say, "I get some more now, don't I?" It is a lot of work, but I am now a firm believer in counter-conditioning. If only I had known about it before things deteriorated so badly between Kate and Libby. However, since Libby and Kate both prefer their humans all to themselves, Libby has certainly been much happier since living in one room with her own private yard.

Kate and Roadie have begun to play together finally, now that Maggie is gone. They seem to have adjusted to her absence finally, and it is getting easier for me as well. Rex has transferred his attentions to Roadie, now that he does not have Maggie to boss around. Roadie mainly tries to avoid him, where as Maggie would give tit for tat.

Rex has been out in the front yard with me a lot of late, and always looks for the cat in all her usual places. He cannot seem to figure out where she is, but diligently makes the rounds searching for her. Things have actually quieted down considerably around here, which is of course, the nature of systems.

I am gearing up to go back to work tomorrow, not having accomplished even 3 of the things on my long list of things to do while on my break. Now, I get to try to cram them all into the last week before classes begin! Typical of me--but what a fine and relaxing break it was. :)

1 comment:

Kathi said...

The kennel is looking good! Congratulations on the counter-conditioning - it is hard to be consistent, but you seem to have it down- that's great!