Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Last night in Mound Bayou: three cemeteries complete

A number of years ago, my dean's wife commented to me after spending a weekend clearing brush from the fence line on their ranch, "I told Lawrence 'I am 62 years old and I am too old to clear brush from a fence line.'"

I think I know what she meant after the last 4 days. As we have walked the cemeteries, and two of them twice, I am feeling the weariness. These students are incredible,though, getting up early, enduring sun, wind, smoke, gnats, and mosquitoes in order to complete the service project.

I had to be on a teleconference at 9 this morning, so the students went out without me. They were determined to finish the historical cemetery today, and we did. A community member stopped to talk with us about what we were doing...and point out another cemetery...or 2...We are thrilled that we have mapped three of them, including the historical cemetery (Mound Bayou or Common cemetery).

Lots of photos and updates of Suzassippi's Mississippi coming soon.

No comments: