Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Amsterdam Centraal Station

 Amsterdam Centraal Station was opened in 1889.  The building was designed by Dutch architect Pierre Cuypers.  The roof span is fabricated cast iron by the iron founder Andrew Handyside of Derby, England.  The Liverpool Station in London is a twin to Amsterdam Centraal.
 Step across the plaza in front of the station and the canal waits, beckoning you to climb aboard a water taxi.
Venture along side of the canal toward the more densely packed city, with its narrow streets crammed with pedestrians, bicyclists, and cars--and it becomes a match for quick moves and quick wits.
I know this from personal experience: walking down this narrow street, carrying my shoulder bag and camera bag, I was as close to the building as I could walk.  A car driving past me struck my elbow with its side mirror...and the driver never even slowed.  I learned my lesson; arms to the side whilst walking in Amsterdam.

No comments: