Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lee County Courthouse, Tupelo: M. T. Lewman & Co.

There is nothing like a post over at MissPres to get me in research mode.  This morning's post was about the Lewman & Co, and included a list of buildings by the company.  Included was the Lee County Courthouse in Tupelo, and as luck would have it, I had to go to Tupelo today to work on the needs assessment for our gerontology grant.  Add the camera to all the other equipment that I needed!
The building was constructed in 1904 in the Classical Revival style, of stone and copper--I assume the copper was the roof of the dome because that is the only copper I could see--or at least, it appears to be copper.  Where is the green?  Does Tupelo keep its buildings cleaner than other cities?  
I walked the square around the courthouse in the 78 degree (yes, 78 degrees in February) temperature.  I confess, as much as I love living on my little Taylor hillside and how convenient it is to get to work, Tupelo made me miss being in a city.  I suppose life always has its trade-offs.
A storm was moving in as I was leaving, and I feared I had dallied too long and still had some other sites to photograph.  However, fortune was with me again and I made it home without getting caught in the thunderstorm.  I can hear the storm approaching now, though, and the sound of the wind in the trees is both relaxing and foreboding.  Spring time is coming.

No comments: