Walnut Room this way

Walnut Room this way
Rio.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Why Southerners hate winter


Because it's cold, and we are never prepared for ice.  
Felix ventured out of her house for only a few minutes.


Libby has the right idea; it's freezing in here even with my insulated socks and sheepskin slippers.

I had to go to the grocery store this afternoon, planning to be home before the ice and snow hit.  I started to take the truck with the 4-wheel drive, but thought I had enough time.  Remember what "thought did."

When I came out of the grocery store a mere 15 or so minutes later, it was raining and sleeting, the roads were already icing, and I was worried about getting up my hill.  I was right: I couldn't.  I made it almost to the top and then would spin out on the last few feet.  I tried all the tricks I knew, having learned to drive on ice from a true northerner back in 1970.  Didn't work this time.  I called Randy and said, "I'm outside and I can't get up the hill."  He ended up having to back down to the very bottom, and then drive up very fast so when he hit the steepest part he would have enough momentum to make it over and to the parking area.  He delighted in saying "I told you so" for my procrastinating on going to the store today, and then thinking I would not need the 4-wheel drive. 

No comments: